Sunday, February 24, 2008

What's happened since November

Well, I haven't really updated the general population since that November, so I think I will now.
A week after getting out of the hospital I ended up back in the E.R. since I had a fever, but was sent home a few hours later with antibiotics for a believed U.T.I.
The bone marrow test came back with no abnormalities, but that I did have the bone marrow at that time of a 50 year old, most likely from a virus that attacked the blood. Now that the virus had made it's way through my body my hemotologist saw no real threat and told me to see him in three months (which is 3/21/08). My dialysis has of course continued, and has increased by 15 minutes due to my height. I changed centers so that I could go to school in Tinley Park and then come back to Naperville for a 5-9pm session Monday, Wednesday, and Friday. I get my blood drawn there every other week, and I currently do not have anemia, and my other counts look pretty good if I don't say so myself.
My kidney biopsy was finally done in January. My results have been shared with me slowly within the last month. It turns out that my kidney problems are non-reversable. My nephrologist says it could have been happening anywhere from a few months to a few years. (though my mom and I think it started when my blood virus came about). My kidneys are too scarred to every be able to know what happened to make them that way. I know have what doctors call "Chronic Kidney Failure". So now I am in the process of getting tested to get on the Illinois Kidney Transplant list, which is an approximately 5 year waiting list. Live donor has a much shorter waiting list, since once I find a donor that matches me (and I have the most common, AB+, so I can accept from just about anybody that's under 60, no high-blood pressure, and no diabetes), I could have a transplant. The only slight road block may be if I got some odd antibodies from any of the 4 blood transfusions I recieved in the hospital. In that case, it may take a bit more challenging time looking for someone to match that.
At this point, my hope is to get a transplant next Feb. or later, when I'll be done with school. After my transplant, I'll take antirejection pills everyday for the rest of my life.
So, right now I'm waiting for my appointment to get my permanent catheter in the works, and trying to contact Northwestern to make appointments to get tests done.
~Jess

1 comment:

Susan K said...

Hi! Thanks so much for your comment. I'm also glad I know of this blog now. I've been thinking about you and glad to know that things are not worse--but I'm sorry it's so hard. You'll be in our prayers as well.